Grade 6 in Computing GCSE or Grade 6 in Maths and keen interest in programming and computing technologies.
Why Choose Computer Science?
What is Involved?
In Computer Science you will study a wide range of topics, divided into three main areas:
Computer Systems (assessed with a 2½ hour written examination paper accounting for 40% of the A-level course) covering areas such as:
- The characteristics of contemporary computer processors and system architectures
- Software and software development methods
- Exchanging data – Data compression, database concepts and transaction processing
- Data Types and data structures
- Boolean algebra – Logic gates and logic circuits
Algorithms and Programming (assessed with a 2½ hour written examination paper accounting for 40% of the A-level course) covering areas such as:
- Elements of computational thinking (decomposition, abstraction, pattern recognition)
- Algorithm analysis and design to solve
- Introduction to programming (using Python)
- Advanced programming – Object Oriented Programming techniques
Practical Programming Project (accounting for 20% of the A-level course).
- Students are to solve a programming problem of their choice and are free to develop a solution in any language(s) they wish.
of A-level students achieved grades A*-B
of A-level students achieved grades A*-C
what we've been up to...
Happier January - Day 22: Try out something new to get out of your comfort zone. #Wellbeing #HappierJanuary @WestKirbyGS https://t.co/qpntcZIM12
Happier January - Day 21: Take a small step towards an important goal. #Wellbeing #HappierJanuary @WestKirbyGS https://t.co/5xZErLQWpb
Happier January - Day 20: Go to bed in good time and give yourself time to recharge. #Wellbeing #HappierJanuary @WestKirbyGS https://t.co/VEAgb5Eoeo
Happier January - Day 19: Get back in touch with an old friend you miss. #Wellbeing #HappierJanuary @WestKirbyGS https://t.co/o74zoFz28l
▶️Update on Subject Specific Support◀️ Mrs. Marley is collating all the responses and will be in contact soon. Also, a big thank you to those who got in touch. 👍 #WKGSCommunity💙 #WKGS6thForm #WKGSY12 #WKGSY13 @WestKirbyGS
Happier January - Day 18: Focus on what’s good, even if today feels tough. #Wellbeing #HappierJanuary @WestKirbyGS https://t.co/CDu517FcT9
#WKGS6thForm Instagram Takeover Our #WKGS Prefects have taken over the #WKGS6thForm Instagram feed. They will be updating the feed to give you all an insight into our OUTSTANDING Sixth Form. And be sure to follow the feed to get a chance to ask any questions to our Prefects. 1/3 https://t.co/Oq3vfpNOWP
Happier January - Day 17: Contribute positively to a good cause or your community. #Wellbeing #HappierJanuary @WestKirbyGS https://t.co/PGd0KfmhN7
Happier January - Day 16: Get outside and notice five things that are beautiful. #Wellbeing #HappierJanuary @WestKirbyGS https://t.co/pQBctncu9K
Happier January - Day 15: Eat healthy food which really nourishes you today. #Wellbeing #HappierJanuary @WestKirbyGS https://t.co/lB8vrQzjZx
Happier January - Day 14: Take a different route today and see what you notice. #Wellbeing #HappierJanuary @WestKirbyGS https://t.co/EIlRtLWi0X