The House system forms an integral part of our community giving girls the opportunity of getting to know students from other forms in their own year group and from other years across the age range (Years 7 - 13). It promotes a healthy atmosphere of co-operation and friendly competition and allows family traditions to be carried on as girls and sixth form boys are placed in Houses to which they have a family link. There are many House competitions that provide a variety of activities to encourage all students to get involved. House events include House Gym, House Hockey, House Drama, House Photographic, House Bake-Off and the House Quiz, to name just a few. The House events are largely organised by a team of House Captains and Deputies who are democratically appointed by members of their House at Easter in their lower sixth year; these are supported by Junior House Captains and their deputies from Year 9. The responsibility allows them to develop their leadership skills, but working as a team in this way also gives a sense of belonging and community to all students in that House. Houses meet every Thursday morning for an assembly led by the Head of House (teaching staff) and the House Captain Team.
All students and staff are allocated to one of the following six Houses on arrival:
- Furniss (Colour - Purple) - named after an old girl and previous chair of OGA and Governors
- Gonner (Colour - Blue) - named after a previous Governor and benefactor of the School
- Hudson (Colour - White) - named after a previous Headmistress (1946 - 1968)
- Paton (Colour - Green) - named after a previous Governor and benefactor of the School
- Stewart (Colour - Yellow) - named after a previous Governor
- Wallis (Colour - Red) - named after the first Headmistress
Below are the House Events scheduled for this academic year.